Training and Education
Online HIPAA Privacy and Security Essentials Training
HIPAA Training must be completed by all new faculty, staff, and students within 30 days of UNI creation, and annually thereafter. The course content is updated annually to include current Privacy and Information Security regulations that govern Columbia in addition to information related to Columbia University policies.
Training Assignment Criteria:
- If you completed the New Hire HIPAA Privacy and Security Essentials Training OR Annual HIPAA Training 2018 before December 1, 2018, Annual HIPAA Training 2019 was assigned to you on January 18, 2019. Annual HIPAA Training 2019 must be completed by May 31st to avoid sanctions (e.g., suspension to email, RASCAL, library access)
- If you are a New Hire or an existing workforce member who did not complete the New Hire HIPAA Privacy and Security Essentials training, you need to complete the New Hire HIPAA Privacy and Security Essentials Training.
- If the Annual HIPAA or the New Hire training is not assigned to you, do not click 'ADD TO PLAN'. Please contact Susie Kim at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.
- You will receive an email notification from “email@example.com” with a link to the Annual HIPAA Training 2019 course or the New Hire HIPAA Privacy and Security Essentials Training course as applicable.
Link to the Course:
- Use the link embedded in the email notification from “firstname.lastname@example.org” to go directly into the course assigned to you.
- If you did not receive an email as mentioned above, go to the Enterprise Learning Management System, log in with your UNI and password, and click on “My Learning Plan”. Any training assigned to you will be listed.
- Compliance reports will be emailed to Department Administrators and Student Deans or their designee on a monthly basis.
- Do not access the course from mobile devices (e.g., tablet, phone, iPad)
- Update to the latest version of your browser, and if possible, avoid using Safari on Mac
- For all technical questions, contact the 5HELP Service Desk at 212-305-HELP (4357) or email@example.com.
- If you believe you are required to complete HIPAA training and no course has been assigned to you, please contact Susie Kim at firstname.lastname@example.org
Online HIPAA Training for Researchers
The purpose of this training is to educate faculty, staff, and students engaged in human subjects research on the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) Privacy Rule requirements and to provide information needed by investigators to make their research activities compliant with HIPAA.
The online training for researchers is available at: RASCAL HIPAA Training (TC0019)
Additional Educational Information
Annual HIPAA Privacy and Information Security Briefings
The briefing reviews emerging privacy and security issues, what you need to know to protect your information, and how Columbia is responding to these challenges.
- HIPAA Privacy and Information Security Briefing Video 2019
- HIPAA Privacy and Information Security Briefing Video 2018
- HIPAA Privacy and Information Security Briefing Video 2017
Health Information Management (HIM) and HIPAA Compliance Update 2018
ColumbiaDoctors, NewYork-Presbyterian, and Weill Cornell Medicine have recently collaborated together to create a joint Notice of Privacy Practice and a joint Authorization to Release Medical Information for all three institutions. The creation of these joint documents is a preliminary step bringing us closer to an integrated electronic health record.
Information sessions on these new forms as well as other more recent updates in Health Information Management (HIM) and HIPAA Compliance will be provided from 3/28/18 - 4/13/18, and the PowerPoint presentation is available at: HIM and HIPAA Compliance Update and Notice of Privacy Practices FAQs