Training and Education
Online HIPAA Privacy and Security Essentials Training
HIPAA Privacy and Security Essentials Training must be completed by all new faculty, staff, and students within 30 days of the date of hire and annually thereafter. The course content is updated annually to include current Privacy and Information Security regulations that govern Columbia in addition to information related to Columbia University policies.
If you are an existing workforce member and you have not completed the 2017 annual training OR if you are a new hire: New Hire HIPAA Privacy and Security Essentials
- HR Managers: Sign into SharePoint to confirm completion status for your workforce
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for the training
- If you have any questions regarding the training or the manager reports, please contact Susie Kim at firstname.lastname@example.org
Annual HIPAA Privacy and Security Essentials Training will be available in early 2018.
Online HIPAA Training for Researchers
The purpose of this training is to educate faculty, staff, and students engaged in human subjects research on the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) Privacy Rule requirements and to provide information needed by investigators to make their research activities compliant with HIPAA.
The online training for researchers is available at: RASCAL HIPAA Training (TC0019)
Additional Educational Information
HIPAA Privacy and Information Security Annual Briefing 2017
The briefing reviews emerging privacy and security issues, what you need to know to protect your information, and how Columbia is responding to these challenges.
- HIPAA Privacy and Information Security Annual Briefing 2017 Slides
- HIPAA Privacy and Information Security Annual Briefing 2017 Video